Providing safety for your employees is a top priority for all commercial business owners.
A fire risk assessment is important to ensure that your fire systems are working properly and to identify any potential threats from a fire that the workplace poses.
Here is a simple guide to understanding fire risk assessments:
A fire risk assessment involves a careful look at your premises and the people who use them, from a fire prevention perspective.
It’s about understanding the potential risks and then improving your fire safety precautions to keep people safe.
Whether you run a shop, office, restaurant, warehouse or any other type of business, you are legally required to carry out risk assessments.
It is important to have the assessment written down to demonstrate the findings and show that you are properly assessing the fire risk at your premises.
Fire assessments are generally conducted in these five steps:
- Identify the fire hazards – this will include looking at how a fire could start, such as heaters, electrical equipment or any other process that may increase the risk of a fire
- Identify those at risk of the fire – while everyone will be at risk, some people may have a great exposure due to their role or where they work. It is important to consider who is most at risk
- Evaluate, remove and reduce the risks – once you have identified the risks, it is important to take action to reduce, remove or manage those risks
- Record findings, prepare an emergency plan and provide training
- Review and update the fire risk assessment regularly – you must review the fire assessment on a regular basis to identify any potential new risks
A fire risk assessment needs to be reviewed annually by a competent member of the team and then by a professional every 3 to 4 years.
Annual fire risk assessments are valid for 12 months whereas professional fire risk assessments will be valid for 4 years.
If you are looking for a reputable company to carry out your business’s fire risk assessment, then look no further than EK Fire Protection.
At EK Fire Protection, we have an expert team who can offer accurate help and advice to ensure you meet the current legislation with ease.
We offer a range of other fire prevention solutions including fire extinguisher rental, emergency light installation, fire alarms and more.
If you are interested in the services we offer, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our friendly team at 01304 210909 here today.